Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Apple Dumplings

When I was sick a few weeks ago, my mother was my saving grace. She normally watches Evie on Tuesdays so I can attend a Bible Study group at church. When I was sick, though, I skipped the class. My mom took Evie anyway, and I slept all day. Really. My mom brought her back at naptime, and I only woke up long enough to get Evie to sleep.

After that day of rest, I was on the mend. My mom called a few days later and said she and her friend Mary were going to pick Evie up and take her apple picking. I was happy for the chance at more sleep. At first, that is. Then I started thinking about what I would be missing. This was Evie's first trip to pick apples, and I wanted to participate. So, I hauled myself off the couch and into the shower.

We had a great time in the apple orchard. The sun was shining and it was cool. Evie reached up to pick apples from low branches and shined them up on her pants. We all ate A LOT of apples! And we brought a lot of apples home. What to do with them?

The ambitious part of me wanted to make an apple strudel. However, my sister told me about an easy and yummy recipe that I tried instead. I don't know what it's really named, but I called them Apple Dumplings.

Apple Dumplings
16 oz can refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
2 apples
1 1/2 c sugar
1 1/2 T cinnamon (to taste)
1 stick butter, melted

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut each biscuit into quarters and set aside.

Mix sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl.

Peel apples. Then using the apple peeler, peel the apples into thin strips. (Each strip should be several inches long.)

Dip a piece of biscuit into the butter, then into the cinnamon sugar. Wrap a couple strips of apple around it, and place into the bottom of a 13X9 inch pan. Continue with remaining biscuit pieces. You will only have enough for a single layer in the pan.

Pour any remaining butter and sugar over the dumplings.

Bake for about 15 minutes, until dumplings are golden brown and sauce is bubbling.

Enjoy!

Lisa hosts Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays over at Blessed with Grace. Visit her for more yummy recipes!

9 comments:

Rachel said...

My husband went to an apple orchard earlier this month and came home with a huge bucket full of them. We used some of them to make a pie and then used the rest to make applesauce! SO DELICIOUS and SO EASY!!!

Live.Love.Eat said...

Hi there. Came over from TMTT. This sounds amazing. I have a printout for something similar that I am dying to make. Thanks for sharing!!!!

Heather said...

YUM! I am so moving..Calling the school to transfer my records now.

Lana said...

yum ... this looks good.

Jamey said...

oh that sounds yumy and easy to make, thanks for sharing!

Momisodes said...

I have a ba-jillion apples left over from apple picking. This sounds like a delicious way to use up some.

Rae said...

Wow. What a great receipe. You must have a fabulous sister. ;)

Tara @ Feels Like Home said...

This sounds really great. Thanks for sharing!

Alexandra said...

how fun!! I wish we lived somewhere we could do that. :( We did get to go to a REAL pumpkin patch in West Virginia though. very cool. makes me want to move farther north eventually.