Monday, March 8, 2010

Inspiration


I haven't been inspired to write lately. Which is odd, since I have two of the most precious little inspirations living right under my roof.

I am a very happy person. Even in the midst of a struggle, I can look around and see the blessings in my life. I get these little bursts of joy every single day, sometimes from small ordinary things. It could be the glint of light on my wedding ring, Evie's smile, the first shoot of a crocus poking out of the earth, or a song on the radio. But my heart swells and the world feels right and I know just how lucky I am to be living this life. My wonderful life.

For several weeks in February, though, those little bursts were missing. It's not that I was unhappy. But I was just going through the motions of my life, watching it happen in front of me. I wasn't participating.

This had never happened to me before. Where was my joy? How could I get it back?

So I started working out again. It made me feel better about myself and gave me some alone time. I sometimes sit and talk with friends and have a cup of coffee afterward. But no bursts of joy. I got a new haircut. No burst. I prayed about it, asking God to make me aware of the blessings that surround me, to make me feel them in my heart. Still not a single burst. I tried to talk to Chris about it once, laying in the dark. He didn't understand what I was trying to say, and the conversation quickly became an argument. Definitely no burst there.

And just when I started thinking I should talk to my doctor about postpartum depression, the sun came out. Literally.

Early last week, a little bit of springtime crept into St. Louis. The breezes blew just a tiny bit warmer and I felt the sun on my face. I don't know if it was really the long Midwestern winter or my hormones, but I finally feel like myself again. Everywhere I look, I find inspiration and joy.

Yesterday, I was patting Ethan's back, trying to get him to fall asleep for his afternoon nap. He craned his neck over to look at my face. And he laughed. He couldn't stop - it was one of those silly, tired laughs. It made me laugh, and then Evie joined in. Burst!

Last week we went for a walk in the sun with one of our neighbors. Then Evie and the girls drew chalk pictures on the driveway. Such bright colors, such bright faces full of smiles. Burst!

When I change Ethan's poopy diapers, he laughs. It distracts me from the fact that I'm changing a poopy diaper, and makes me laugh, too. Burst!

The other day, Evie ran into the living room with a mini Sleeping Beauty doll. She asked "Is this the future?" I was baffled. She explained that she had finally put Sleeping Beauty's pink dress on by herself. And then I remembered telling her not to give up, that if she kept trying, she would be able to put the dress on all by herself, one day in the future. Burst!

I was on the computer in the kitchen yesterday, and I glanced into the living room. Ethan was sitting in a chair, and Evie had climbed up next to him. She had her arm around him and was reading him an Easter book. Burst! Burst! Burst!

Evie was making cupcakes in her play kitchen the other day, and she was so excited about adding extra shredded cheese to the cupcakes. She even made sure to add some on top. Burst!

A few nights ago, we were saying our prayers before bed. And Evie said "Jesus, please help me sleep through the night, so I don't get into trouble from Mommy." Burst!

Right now, my mom and Evie are playing with pop beads at the kitchen table. I'm listening to their conversation and their laughs. Burst!

So I'm inspired again. Inspired and loving this life. Burst! Burst! Burst!

13 comments:

Fiona said...

Yay! What a wonderful post. I've missed reading about your bursts of joy.

Sara @ Life With the Two said...

Hurray!
I've missed your bursts too!

Karen said...

So glad that you got your bursts back! It was a long COLD winter!

Unknown said...

Beautiful post! The sun shining has actually helped me, too! Burst! :)

Unknown said...

Echoing everyone else, so glad to read your special kind of happiness. Missed you a lot.

Thank you.

Jania aka Fiona's Mommy

Love said...

oh, this must be a wonderful feeling to have back!! so glad!

Alexandra said...

I'm so glad you are doing better! But I am also glad to here I am not going crazy. Most days I have a hard time feeling those bursts and I really want to!! I look at my kids and my heart melts for love of them, but I also want to run the other way sometimes. Just good to know I'm not the only one.

Alexandra said...

*hear

Prasti said...

been missing you :). winters are tough, aren't they? i always feel like hibernating and doing n.o.t.h.i.n.g. until spring.

Unknown said...

Ethan has gotten so big! I can't believe it! Definitely not going to have to feed him butter covered butter :) Love you all.

casual friday every day said...

That picture, Sarah --- oh that picture! ADORABLE!!!!

Nell
@nelltaliercio

harada57 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
สมัคร pg slot said...

สมัคร Pg Slot การเล่น สล็อต สมัครง่าย ผ่านระบบอัตโนมัติ 3 วินาที ทำให้ทุกคนเพลินใจ ไปกับการเล่น สล็อต ได้ทุกหนทุกแห่ง ส่วนกระบวนการลงทะเบียน เป็นสมาชิกนั้น ไม่ยุ่งยาก ททางเว็บ